Thursday, August 21, 2008

Politics

So, we have this rule at work - check your politics at the door.

This is hard for me. I'm political. My faith dictates my politics. But my faith dictates it in a different way than other people in my office. We happen to all be faith people. We happen to all be action people who care about humanity. But we think different. Funny.

One of the few magazines I receive is Relevant. I happen to love this magazine. Today I received my new addition and read Cameron Strang's First Word all about politics and taking action.

Cameron urges us to vote - we live in a democracy. But he does more than that. He says whatever you believe, don't leave it just to politicians. He says to do what you believe with EVERYTHING. That means "our lives, our finances and our actions every day. Not just Nov. 4." I say, "Go Cameron!"

I believe in the political process. Plus, I'm an American. People died so I could vote and I don't want their death to be in vain. I have a responsibility to vote.

But I agree with Cameron. Vote. But also DO something. Working with so many non-profit leaders around the world and seeing them do it alone breaks my heart. I hear countless stories of leaders, HEROES, changing their communities....alone.

So I am with Cameron. Let's all do something. My friend Bernard in Uganda handles more than his fair share of the burden caring for 1,500 orphans alone. And he doesn't complain. But when he asks for a little help and partnership. Well. We have a responsibility. Don't we?

No comments: