Friday, August 15, 2008

Partners even in competition

I'm watching the Olympics with so much joy this year! I'm not the biggest sports fan, but the Olympics are something of their own.

Of course, all eyes are on Michael Phelps. I had no idea who he was, and he is really amazing! I watched tonight as he barely won his 7th gold. Wow! I also watched the ladies gymnastics that took place last night, but I opted not to stay up until 3 am. Watching Nastia and Shawn compete, but in a spirit of collaboration as fellow teammates, I think is a wonderful display of sportsmanship.

However, one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship I watched was when Dara Torres went to tell an official that another swimmer had a torn swimsuit and asked to please hold the race. This is amazing for 2 reasons. First, if you can knock a competitor out of the race, even on a technicality, most people do. Why would you help a competitor who could overtake you? Second, spending the extra time waiting on the block can throw off your psyche. It is better for the athletes not to delay. So Dara really went out of the way to ensure that another person's opportunity was not spoiled for a silly reason. I thought it was wonderful when she then came in first in the race. Go Dara!

What can I say, I love watching people working together and looking out for one another!

No comments: