Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Africa

Today I met with a partner, Mildred. Mildred is from Zambia. We have been trying to partner for 15 months now. She's been here obtaining her nursing degree so her and her husband can open a teaching clinic in Zambia.

Giving Children Hope does our best to try and bring resources into our organization so we can serve many different projects with the product we receive. That means we try and bring in funding to the organization, but we can't fundraise for each individual project that we want to take on.

Now this model works well in many instances. For instance, when the Rotary group comes and wants to do a project I give them a fundraising goal and they make it happen. The same happens with a church or other non-profit. But how do you help the national/indigenous group who has no assistance?

This is often my pain. So today, I sat with Mildred. I prayed with her and we cried together. This is a women who can be a leader in her community the way I could never be. She can implement change because of who she is and where she is from. But how do I expect her to fundraise in America? How do I help Mildred from Zambia raise the funds she needs to build the medical clinic and teach her community how to prevent HIV/AIDS, how to fight malaria, and the have the equipment and medicine to treat those whom already have these diseases?

That's a question that keeps me up at night.

No comments: