Monday, December 29, 2008

Partners in Peru

In a few days I’ll (hopefully) be taking off on my first international trip for work. Now, I’ve actually been several places around the world, including living in both Italy and South Africa. But this will be my first time to Peru, and my first time in South America. For this I am grateful to Mission Viejo Christian Church and to Mike on the Missions Board.

Here’s how it all happened. We had a volunteer phone repair man in our office in the Spring (we use LOTS of volunteers) and he brought someone from MVCC with him. Well, Jim loved what we do and quickly became our friend, advocate, and supporter. One of the best things that MVCC does for us is to pray for us. I so appreciate all of their prayers for us and for our partners around the world.

Well, Jim sent Mike to our office one day to use our Mission Store for one of their missions trips. On that visit Mike learned about our program that ships highly-needed pharmaceuticals to projects around the world in need. He ended up in my office that day to talk about getting medicines to their project in Peru and thus the partnership deepened.

At the end of the summer, I was sharing stories in their church along with a couple other ministries they support. Between the first service and the second service Mike had decided that their project in Peru really needed to partner with Giving Children Hope to start a new medical clinic in the community. The government had given the orphanage/clinic the building and even the medical personnel; the only thing needed was equipment, supplies and medicines. And this is where they could partner with GCH to get all that they need. So the partnership deepened again.

Mike asked me if I ever go to the field projects. Mind you, I sit in countless meetings with countless people from around the world and hear about their communities. My sense of adventure and love of travel has me longing to see each one in person. However, I know that I am best used not out in the field, but rather by working for an organization such as GCH getting resources to those communities. So when Mike heard that I had not been to any of our field projects he felt compelled to bring me along on their next trip to Peru. And with my boss’s permission, I’ll be taking off soon.

I cannot put into words how excited I am to participate in this missions trip. Really, I can’t! You see, God gives me this great privilege to partner on projects all over the world to get medical supplies, equipment and medicines. But I don’t ever get to see any of people that actually benefit. And that’s really fine. I don’t do my job to SEE the benefit. I do it because I am called to it and because I know that the poor DO benefit. That’s all I really need to know.

But you see, to SEE it firsthand. Well, that’s a real blessing. We’re praying that the medicines clear customs in time for us to take them with us from the airport to the rural clinic. This might not sound significant to anyone reading this, but I assure you it is. When you have done countless shipments around the world and only seen the photos of delivery and heard the stories of how the medicines helped, well, to know the communities by name that goes beyond words.

So I am truly grateful that the Lord brought Mission Viejo Christian Church into my life and into partnership with GCH. And I am grateful that MVCC is in partnership with this community in Peru. I can’t wait to hear of all that God is doing in the community and learn first hand. Every trip I take I learn more of the wonder and splendor of God. When I think He can’t possibly get any bigger He does. And I remember that I don’t really know that much at all. For these things I am truly grateful; there is nothing better then to learn about the greatness of God and be all that He has called me to be.

Thanks for your prayers as we travel in hopeful expectation of what God would have us do.

No comments: