Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Journey Towards Hope

I guess it’s fitting that my last blog about death be followed by a blog about hope and certainly thanks as this is Thanksgiving.

This morning at 4:44 AM my grandfather closed his eyes and entered the presence of Jesus. What a joy and a blessing that after almost 91 years he is free from the tent that has been holding him back and is finally rejoicing with the angels. My family was so thankful this morning to see the suffering end and the joy begin.

We were also filled with thanks to be in a home that could have burned to the ground like so many around us, but instead it was filled with love and family…and food. We were so thankful that friends and even strangers came together to give us a home-cooked meal on such a different Thanksgiving. What a blessing to feel the love of Jesus in such a tangible way, through physical provision.

As I also blogged about the situation in Zimbabwe last, and they are still in dire straights with many dying, yesterday I was corresponding with our partners from World Vision. Just a couple weeks ago we did a project together where Giving Children Hope sent medicines to their project in Zimbabwe. Jennifer reported to me on Wednesday that not only did all go well in arrival, but that the medicines literally kept the hospitals doors open. So while we can’t fix the whole country, we find hope in the fact that we CAN do something. And I hope that those that received treatment in Zimbabwe felt the love of Jesus through physical provision the same as my family did today through our physical provision.

Yes indeed, we have much to give thanks for this season as we wait in hopeful expectation for the birth of our Savior.

No comments: