Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Controversy of Gaza

How does a Christian humanitarian aid organization try and fundraise to serve Gaza? I’m asking a serious question and am open to replies.

Here’s the scoop. Gaza is so politically controversial and even more so within the Christian community. As an organization we do not take a political stand on any situation. We work hard to get aid to where it needs to go. We will work with anyone willing to get aid to the people – no matter what their political beliefs are. That means in every situation we work with all different people.

This can make Christians uncomfortable, but this does not undermine our commitment to Jesus Christ. Quite the opposite. We feel that working together with people who are different than us shows the love of Christ.

The interesting thing about the Palestinian territories (which by the way with our Google map integration we have to do a manual over-ride because even Google doesn’t want to tick anyone off), is that while Christians can debate about the state of Israel and the Jewish people and discuss the Muslims, the Christians living in this region are often Palestinians.

Now, I wan to re-emphasize that GCHope has no political stand whatsoever and we are working hard to get aid to a hospital in Gaza City – Ahli Hospital – which has not received ANY supplies in 2 years. As I restate that, I’ll speak of a personal experience in 2004 when I visited the Holy Land.

I traveled to Israel for the wedding of an American and a Canadian – both Christians – taking place where they lived in Jerusalem. I learned a lot from them and their friends on this trip, and with the Christian expatriates I met, they had varying opinions. But I did something else. I went behind the new wall into Bethlehem, just a few miles away from Jerusalem and it was a different world. I met with a Muslim Palestinian who toured us around and talked to us from his opinion. He was very kind and I’ll never forget the graciousness and hospitality he extended to us.

I also met with some Christian Palestinians and I think their story was the most difficult for me, or the most heart-wrenching. You see, no one wanted them. The Jews didn’t want them in Israel and the Muslim Palestinians didn’t want them either. However, they were walled up into Bethlehem unable to get permits to travel, but being absolutely persecuted. And the thing is, they feel that Christians around the world only seem to care about the Jewish people.

Now again, GCHope is not taking sides, nor am I. But I will state that I was deeply impacted by their plight and that I pray often for the Christian Palestinians who feel so very alone in this world.

We’ve taken a bit of heat so far from all sides for trying to help the people of Gaza. I’m personally frustrated because I need to find a way to raise $10,000 to help this hospital and people who has been hit by war. Whatever you believe about the war, breathing humans created in the image of God have undergone traumatic circumstances and no resources are available to help them recover from the physical ailments that they have. I’m not sure how to be politically correct, I’m just trying to do the right thing and serve people in need.

I did have a wonderful conversation this week with an Interfaith group. This is a small group of people from all different faiths who come together to pray and get to know one another and they want to help on Gaza. What a beautiful thing! People different from one another, some Christians, some Muslims, some Jews, all coming together around the cause of serving the people who are hurt in Gaza with the medical care that they need. I think this goes a long way in bringing a more peaceful world which we continue to pray for.

I’m sure that this post has managed to irritate some people. As my boss called me this week, I’m like a piece of sand that acts like an agitator. Hmmmm, not quite the compliment. But then he went on to state that this sand turns into a beautiful pearl. That I pose good questions that make people think and in turn produce beautiful results. So, I hope this made you think. And I hope somewhere it will produce a beautiful result…maybe it will be for those in the Middle East.

No comments: